1. Inspection of mines and apprising the General Managers and advising the Manger to take the remedial action
2. Enquire into all fatal / serious accidents and other dangerous occurrences
3. Going through all the violations pointed out by DGMS and to coordinate with the Mines for their rectification
4. Assessing the requirement of Safety Material needed to the mines and to coordinate for procurement
5. Conducting surprise checks to the mines with Area Safety Audit teams and to pinpoint deficiencies, lacunae, if any, observed
6. Supervise the function of Safety Committees so as to make it more purposeful
7. Making liaison between Colliery Safety Organization and ISO headquarters regarding Safety matters of the Mines in the Area
8. Accompanying the DGMS during their inspections into the mines
9. Conducting Safety Audit of each mine and follow up action for rectifying the deficiencies
10. Ensuring that the work persons are trained and re-trained on the job
11. Conducting special training classes for Supervisors to develop their skills
12. Arranging Cultural programmes like Burrakathas, Street-plays on Safety and health matters in the mines and colonies.
13. Distributing safety pamphlets to the workers to inculcate safety among them
14. Monitoring of roof bolting activities in mines
15. Issuing Safety Clearance certificates after inspection of new districts, new machinery etc., at the mines.
16. Follow up action for provision of man-riding system at the mines where long and arduous travel exists.
17. Action for conducting noise survey, dust survey, illumination survey at the mines
18. Environmental monitoring
19. Organizing safety quiz competitions at the mines.
20. Laying special emphasis on accident-prone mines in order to improve safety