|We sincerely endeavor for Zero Accident by Right Vision|
|Positive Vision and Safety Vision|
|Safety Policy of SCCL|
(Copy of Minute No.13 of the Board of Directors Meeting held on 21st January, 1983 at Hyderabad regarding Safety Policy)
Board noted the recommendations of the Fifth Conference on Safety in Mines and approved implementation of the Safety Policy with the following objectives
To continuously review all existing Safety practices and to improve and update them as and when the changed circumstances demand.
To ensure that every one in the Organization is aware of the safe working Methods and follow them in day-to-day work.
To develop the skills of employees as a skilled worker can only be a safe worker
To constantly evaluate the personal protective equipments available, in the market and supply them to our employees and train them in their proper use
To reduce the accident rates to the barest minimum and to achieve zero accident potential being the ultimate aim.
For the health and prevention of fatigue, stress is to be laid on the following points.
a) Pre-entry and periodical medical examination for all workers.
b) Proper accommodation to be provided to all workers including freshly recruited workers and staff.
c) Survey of Mine Dust evolution and Dust Control Techniques.
d) Cool and wholesome drinking water to be provided to all parts of the mine where persons work or travel.
e) Man-riding arrangements to be provided.
f) Overtime work to be reduced to minimum.
g) Working environment to be improved.
h) Air and Water pollution to be minimised.
Board, however, observed that separate proposals for implementation would have to be formulated observing normal procedures, financial implications etc.,
|Steps taken / being taken to improve safety in SCCL mines|
To Control Roof and Side Fall Accidents
Roof bolting support system has been standardized and activised in all underground mines
The following measures are taken up to improve roof-bolting performance
· Action taken for procurement and supply of adequate number of roof bolts. For the year 2003-’04, around 19,00,000 roof bolts are being procured
· Action taken for procurement and supply of adequate quantity of cement capsules required for full column grouting
· Action taken for supply of correct size (150mm x 150mm x 6mm) bearing plates used for roof bolting. Nut, bolt and bearing plate will be supplied as a unit
· Action taken for procurement and supply of 232 preset torque wrenches to give desired torque to the belt.
· Action taken for procurement and supply of 123 lightweight anchorage-strength machines used for monitoring of anchorage strength of roof bolts.
· Action taken for purchasing 363 number of drill panels with all required accessories to ease the drilling activity in mines. Planning to keep a drill machine per every working gallery
· Established training gallery in each underground mine and giving training on roof bolting activity to the supportmen
· Video cassettes / CD “On Safe Practice of Roof Bolting” prepared and supplied to each mine for viewing the same to the mine people
· Number of Telugu pamphlets on roof bolting activity were prepared and circulated among the mines for improving the work culture
Services of Scientific Institutions like NIRM, CMRI & NGRI are being taken up for scientific investigation and studies in different mines on strata management
* At Chennur 1 & 1 A Mine, study into the roof behaviour and design of support pattern in 3 seam was taken up by NIRM
* At RK-8 Inc, an S&T Project on working of three sections / seam simultaneous depillaring which is under progress using with strata monitoring instruments
At present, instruments for strata monitoring are being used at Longwall and BG panels. It is proposed to introduce instrumentation in hand section in conventional depillaring districts.
|To control Haulage accidents |
Efforts are made to inculcate safety awareness among all workmen including tramming personnel so that they would keep away from resorting to set-riding
Besides nine Man-riding systems, which are already in operation, further 10 more mines are identified for man-riding system. Procurement of necessary equipment is under purchasing stage
Preparatory works for installation of the equipment is under progress at the mines
|To control accidents in open cast mines |
As a result of the various safety measures being taken, it has been possible to bring down the fatalities from 10 in the year 2000 to zero level in the year 2002
Every effort would be made to maintain zero accident level in open cast section for the coming years too by maintaining the same safety status
|General Safety |
In every mine, Daily Safety Pledge is being administered by all workmen at the beginning of each shift.
Training and Re-training of all workmen including supervisors are being taken up
Burrakaths, Voggukathas and other playlets on Safety matters are staged in the mines as well as at colonies to improve safety awareness among employees
Safety Audit Cells at Area level, at Region level and at Corporate level have been formulated involving Union Representatives and Mine Officials so as to monitor continuosly the safety status at the mines
Escape routes other than the normal travelling roadways have been prepared and maintained at such mines, where there is likely possibility of danger from Inundation, Gas, Fire etc., so that workers can come out safely during the mishap, if any.
Help from Press and local Siti Cable also taken to promote safety education and safety awareness among our employees.